Monday, May 23, 2011

A test of faith.

A couple of days ago, a good friend of mine who resides in Dubai met with an awful tragedy. Her home was caught on fire. Fortunately, none of her family member and herself was physically hurt in this tragedy. I dare not comment on their mental state though.

I cannot even begin to imagine what it's like to see your home on fire. I guess a lot of "what if" questions pop into your mind. What if the kids were asleep and did not manage to escape? What if I had not decided to take the baby with me? What if I was there, would I be able to prevent it? What if I had put my valuables in better safe keeping? So many questions would surely pass your mind but the fact remains, tragedy has struck and it is irreversible.

A friend wrote on my FB, 'when a thief enters your home, he will at least leave some things behind but when it's fire, it takes everything in it's path.' I couldn't agree more.

What do you say to a friend who has been through such an ordeal? Be brave? Be strong? Be patient? Well, the truth is, I really don't know what is the politically correct thing to say. I just know that I'm sorry to see her go through something so terrible and traumatizing. She has my deepest sympathy.

I truly believe that Allah only test those near and dear to Him. A test of this magnitude is a test of faith and obedience and only the truly devoted will get through such tests unscathed. Makes me question my own faith, obedience and devotion as a Muslim. Will such an event shake my faith and devotion to Allah? Half my life ago, Allah had tested my family and me. I am ashamed that then, I had failed miserably In His test. If I was given another great test now, would I do any better now? I don't know. Do I want to know? I don't know. Do I think that now, I am a better Muslim than I previously was back then? Looking at my previous answers, I guess the obvious answer is no. :(

I pray for my friend. I pray for the ease of her burden. And now I pray for me. May I be a good Muslim, the way Allah had intended me to be. Subhanallah wa bi hamdihi.

No comments:

Post a Comment