Saturday, November 12, 2011

Finally made my peace and hired a maid.


"3 kids and no maid? How do you manage?" That is the one, single question I get asked most over and over again. Gosh, some people make it sound like it's the end of the world something.

Truth it, how I've managed without a maid for so long is, I just do what I have to do. It's no easy feat, and yes my home looks like a shipwreck most of the time and yes, I have contemplated running away from home and ditching everything behind MOST of the time but at the end of the day, I am just your average responsible, loving wife and mom. So I do what all loving and responsible mom and wife do, I sacrifice my sanity.

Each day, I tell myself that I feel very empowered to be able to run a one man show managing husband, children and household. I bulldoze my way through the day and by the end of the day, crawl into the bed and wish hard that it would swallow me in. I knew I needed help. I just had to figure out how I was going to make myself ask for it.

The thing is, I feel guilty having someone clean up after me and do the things I knew I could do and felt it was my responsibility to do it and paying them peanuts for it. I say peanuts because judging by my workload I should be receiving a pay bracket similar to those of a CEO of a corporation. I am a full time, stay at home mom after all so I figured its all part of my job description However, how hard I try and push myself, I just couldn't manage to squeeze in laundry and cleaning in between kids home works, after school clubs, cooking daily meals, bedtime stories and even sex! All work and no play made me a very, very grumpy momma indeed.

Getting hired help has crossed my mind a few times but I guess all the horror stories I have been hearing about the cost, the bad help, the end of your privacy and how having a maid would only make your life mor complicated just put it off for me.

So after a few heart palpitations, an anxiety attack and a couple of nervous breakdowns, I had a revelation. These people with the horror stories, they're not living my life. They are not a full time helicopter mom like me. They don't have 3 kids and a husband who simply could not possibly function without me. If a CEO gets an assistant, I deserve one too. Cost wise, I am getting peanuts for what I am doing, why not pay somebody else the peanuts and I can minus the headache. Bad help is better than no help. Privacy? Privacy had ended a long time ago for me when I had kids. Last but not least, the complications, a risk that I am willing to take as what's life without a bit of drama right?

And now ladies and gentleman. I introduce you my maid, R. She has been absolutely wonderful. My frown line has disappeared. My house is clean, neat and tidy. Laundry has simply vanished. I have finally been able to go to the gym ( well, so far only once but heck... I've only had her for less than 2 weeks!) There are more laughter and smiles, mainly from me. The screaming has stopped ( well, on my part anyway) and kids, dad and mom are a more happier bunch.

To be fair, I told R that the kids are off limits, that's my job. Cooking is also me but she can help with prep if she is not busy with other chores and a day off each week. She seems as happy with the deal as I am. I even told the kids and husband that R is meant to help me. Not them. So she is off limits to them too. If they want a cup of water either get it themselves or ask me. Not R. I don't what to pass her the burden of my my kids, that will surely scare her and then I will end up with a runaway maid in my hand.

I am feeling very happy and contented right now. I should have gotten help sooner. Well, as the saying goes, better late than never. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment