Friday, October 8, 2010

Weaning Baby



Baby H will be celebrating her 2nd birthday in a couple of month and by then, I hope to completely wean her off breastfeeding. I've already started the weaning process on her and she seems to be transitioning more smoothly in comparison to my older 2 children. The older 2 was completely weaned off at the exact age of 2 years and 1 day old. I had started the weaning process on them a month prior to their birthdays.

Poor baby H has to start a month earlier then her siblings but she is actually doing remarkably well. We are already into day 5 of the weaning process and it has been a tantrum free day. Among the 3, baby H is definitely the most resilient of the lot.

I think my worst weaning process experience was with my eldest, dearest S. I guess that was due to the fact that I didn't actually have a clue on what I was doing. It took me an agonizing month to wean her. She was very strong willed an head strong (well, she still is actually lol!) Whenever she started to ask for her 'fix', I would try to offer her the bottle instead. She would respond by throwing a furious fit and start thrashing her little body all over the floor. She loathed the sight of the bottle. It was quite scary especially for a first timer like me. However, on the day after her second birthday, I had told her no more boobies and she simply agreed and had never asked for her 'fix' ever since. She started the bottle on that very day with absolutely no fuss. I couldn't figure out what had happened.

Cheeky M's experience was more or less the same as dearest S only it took me a shorter time to convince him to switch to the bottle. 2 weeks into the weaning process he was already downing 4 to 6 8oz bottles of formula milk throughout the day. A typically boy thing I guess; his tummy calls the shots. lol

Although I'm looking forward to cease being a milk bar, weaning is a bittersweet experience for me. It's a cruel reminder that my babies are growing up and marks the end of my ability to provide that special something that no one else could provide my child. I'll truly miss it.

2 comments: